The Express Tribune
Still active: Marvi attempts to call attention to flood devastation
Published: September 20, 2011
PHOTO: MUHAMMAD JAVED/EXPRESS/FILE
Former MNA Marvi Memon filed additional documents on Monday, in support of her petition on the destruction caused by floods last year, to bring to the Supreme Court’s notice that the government has yet to implement its verdict, even as the floods have once again devastated Sindh this year.
The Supreme Court had disposed of the petition with directions to the federal and Sindh governments to implement the flood commission’s recommendations to avoid destruction in future. Memon had petitioned the apex court to take notice of dyke breaches during the floods last year that caused large-scale devastation in Sindh and Balochistan.
The Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry had constituted a flood inquiry commission to investigate breaches in embankments which submitted its report in June. The court had subsequently observed that the government was responsible for failing to safeguard citizens’ fundamental rights to life and liberty.
In an interaction with media persons in the Supreme Court, Memon said, “Many lives could have been saved and large-scale destruction avoided had the flood commission’s recommendations been implemented.” She was referring to the recent floods in Sindh.
Published in The Express Tribune, September 20th, 2011.
September 20, 2011
Federal, Sindh govt have lost constitutional right to remain in power: Marvi Memon
Former member of the National Assembly and flamboyant political leader from Sindh Marvi Memon has said that the present government has lost its legal and constitutional right to remain in power as it failed to implement the recommendations of the Flood Commission at the Centre and in Sindh province.
Talking to media persons at the Supreme Court here in Islamabad on Monday, Marvi Memon said that she presented the proofs of flood destruction in Sindh and administrative failure to the Supreme Court.
She said had the federal and Sindh governments implemented the recommendations of the Flood Commission in the light of the directives of the apex court, Sindh would not have gone through such a major devastation.
Marvi Memon said she has presented the proofs to the court against those who failed to fulfill their responsibilities so that the court is in the knowledge of real situation.
Marvi submits report in SC over huge losses in floods
ISLAMABAD: Former member of the National Assembly Marvi Memon on Monday submitted proofs in the Supreme Court (SC) relating to the people responsible for the immense losses due to the floods in the country.
Earlier, the SC took suo motu notice to probe into the breaches in the dykes and unauthorised diversion of floodwaters by influential people to save their lands in last year’s floods, whereas Marvi had also filed a constitutional petition regarding the matter.
As a result, a flood inquiry commission released a comprehensive report on June 7 in pursuance of court orders and the SC directed the federal and provincial governments to ensure implementation of the recommendations of the flood inquiry commission and take strict action against the department responsible for negligence that had caused a loss of billions of rupees to the national kitty.
While talking to journalists in the premises of the SC on Monday, the former MNA said Sindh could be saved from the present catastrophic situation if the flood report recommendations were implemented in letter and spirit.
She held the Sindh government responsible for all the losses that had occurred in the province because it had ignored to implement the recommendations of the flood commission report.